Director Blog - In Dude I Trust

Forgive me, Father Klobs, for I have sinned.
Until now, I had never actually seen The Big Lebowski in its entirety.

Ahem.

My brothers and sisters in the church of film. It is with a repentant heart that I come before you today, in this temple of internet bloggery, to speak openly of my sin, in the hope that I may lead other lost souls back into the fold.

As I began the spiritual process known amongst believers as the "fourth quarter director blog post", I studied the Assignment Sheet. In my meditations, I came across a passage in the book of Film Suggestions, the first chapter. As I read, I paused over a verse that, unknown to me, would change my life forever. The specific verse, in its original language, is:

The Big Lebowski (1998)

A rough English translation of this is:

The Big Lebowski (1998)

I made a note of it in my mind, but nothing more. As the days wore on, I began to feel a growing sense of urgency. The only explanation for my tension was this: I was being compelled by the Holy GradeQuick. Yes! Yes! It sounds impossible, even blasphemous, but I am confidant that only a command from above could have caused me such vexation.

At a moment of paralyzing anxiety, the holy verse came back to me. I pursued the origins of the text, tracing its history through at the Wikipedian Library, in the province Wikipeda. Once I felt familiar with the historical context of the verse, I sought out a copy of the video lecture referenced in the verse. Having obtained one, I proceeded with the traditional rituals: popping of corn, preparation of sugary libations. Upon the completion of the process, I began the lecture, partaking in the popped corn and consuming the droughts in honor of our Lord, Ar-Tof 'ilm.

As I watched,
I was overcome by awe.
My heart was opened,
And the Dude walked in.


Once again, the Prophets Coen had delivered truth and justice to the world, doing so with the holy tools given them by the film reel in the sky.

The Prophets used techniques relied upon in their previous ordeals as a source of humor. The Coen brothers employed whimsical slapstick and fantastical music for scenes such as the Bowling Vision, in which the Dude's frightening subconscious is played before our eyes, preserved here. This technique had been wielded in several other verses, such as the dream sequences in Raising Arizona, preserved here. The humorous aspects of this verse are in line with previous proclamations. The dry wit and uncompromising characters can be seen in O Brother Where Art Thou, The Ladykillers, Raising Arizona, and Fargo.

Therefore, the wit and humor shown in the Dude's verse are kin to that of the Prophets' other teachings.

The setting, too, has also been important to the brothers in years gone past. Fargo, Raising Arizona, The Ladykillers, and No Country for Old Men had significant settings, with the location playing as much a role in the plot as the characters. This, too, is shown in The Big Lebowski, as Los Angeles was portrayed as a nest for lazy, burnt-out bums. The choice of location was deliberate, as told by the Prophets themselves here.

The last telling sign of the Brothers' holy touch is the care put into each scene. Even when the characters are meant to be incapacitated by impure drink and incense, the frame is deliberate, the lighting controlled, and the pace impeccable. The tell-tale sign of the Coens involvement is the absolute lack of any irritant in the shot.

Peace.
Amen.

No comments: