Gladiator

Right. Gladiator. You know, the one on TV? Every other weekend? Yep, that's the one.

So, yes. Gladiator is fantastic. Some people don't feel this way, however. Some people say that Gladiator is nothing but cliches, battle scenes, and semi-historical fantasy. They might point to the soundtrack, which is full of big, sweeping, unoriginal songs. Maybe some frown upon Russell Crowe's both depressing and simple performance. Or maybe, just maybe, they point out that there are a dozen movies like this; all loosely based on historical events filled with enormous battle scenes.

To these people, I say: shut up.

I started like you. I was silly and dismissive. I was about three minutes into the movie when I snapped out of it. All those other movies? They copied this one. Do you want to know why they copied it? Because it f-ing works! This movie has those impressive battle scenes with the cliche stylistic effects - because it came up with them! The soundtrack was something new and original when it came out; it only seems common because it invented the genre! Irked by Russell Crowe? It's Russell F-ing Crowe! Strange, depressed, and slightly insane is what he does! Beautiful Mind? Cinderella Man? Hotel telephones? Dude could do crazy in his sleep!

Gladiator is a piece of art. Ridley Scott pulled together a satisfying, well-made movie. It is original, touching, and mesmerizing. There is nothing wrong with this movie. Now, if you are prepared to accept that, I'm sure it's on TV right now. Go watch it.

1 comment:

Jake D said...

Gladiator was a great film,especially due to the acting. I like Russell Corwe's character of Maximus. I believe it was one of Crowe's better performances. He plays serious and heroic roles well. I noticed his look of insanity throughout the film also. I believe there were some bad elements in this film, but nothing too serious that distracts form the story.