Black Hawk Down

I really enjoyed this movie. I was in a mood for a story, and that's what I got. I already knew a little of the plot, but not enoughto make it predictable. The conflict was clear and defined early on. It was a simple challenge of survival; waiting until help could arrive. Spread throughout was character development, impressive shots, and a soundtrack that backed the tension and emotion in the characters.
I think a large part of the film's success was its realism. The actors' grim was pretty critical. I mean, if they'd been sitting there with ironed clothes and manicured nails, I would have been a little suspicious of their authenticity. Instead, they had mud and sweat on their faces, and they held their weapons like they knew how to use them. Which, because of the training the actors were required to undergo, they did.
That's really what this movie was about: reality. It was a real plot, a real setting, and real soldiers. Well, they were actors, but they were as close to soldiers as Hollywood can get. The music? The sound editing? Just complements; little added touches to accentuate the intensity of the film. When I saw Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, it was all about the camera and sound. Here, it was all about the genuine story. Of course, Ridley Scott's finer touches were great. But this one goes down to realism.

No comments: